Sacre Coeur Former Pupils Football Club
Phil Steele's Second Team
Liverpool Old Boys Amateur League Division 4
Waterloo G.S.O.B.
4 - 0
Sacre Coeur

John Hughes Alan Williams Jono Cahill Rob Sinclair Tom Blance (c) Robbie Robinson Ste Meadows Jay McParland, Chris McDougall Josh Daly Liam Roy Mark Clarkson Nick Gardner Chukwudi Egbumokei Ollie Rogers Phil Steele
starting line up
Joe Capstick
Liam Roy
Chris McDougall
Chuk Egbumokei
Robbie Robinson
Jonathan Cahill
Ste Meadows
Phil Steele
Rob Sinclair
Josh Daly
Liam Lawson
Martin Hodson
John Hughes

opposition :
Waterloo G.S.O.B. (A)
competition :
Friendly Match
match date :
kick off time :
played at :
Litherland Sports Park
referee :
Richie Hughes

Joe Capstick and Liam Roy

Joe was exceptional in goal, his usaual position being centre back. Liam Roy at left back both contained the right winger and took him to town at times with his famous pull back and switch to the other foot

After the success of the first friendly v Mexoc, the 2nds took on local rivals Waterloo 1st team who are starting next season in the Liverpool County Div 1 which is four divisions higher yet for much of the game Coeur held their own. Loo started with a strong team but it must be noted also had key players missing such as Will Dolan and Lee Mitchell.

Handicapped with having regular shot stopper Tom Blance absent Coeur turned to outfield player Joe Capstick to go between the nets, yet he looked like he had been playing their week in week out.

Futher changes in the Coeur line up saw Liam Roy starting at left back, Robbie Robinson in at right back and Josh Daley moving to centre mid with Meds as the only recognised centre mid available.

The first half was one of containment for the blues, Waterloo interchanging passes from the back forward and employing a attacking formation that at times led to 3 un marked centre mids.

Player Manger Lee Mullin known for his attacking tactics utilised former Couer player Stirzy and former Lukes player Ste Hughes well in the middle of the park with the main football coming through them.

There were few chances for both teams yet after a nervy start Coeur excelled at breaking up the Loo attacks and enforcing themselves physically through both the usual outlets in Steele upfront and Chuk at the back but also with new signing Cahill on the wing.

After hitting the wood work and also a few chances coming from Mullin's spectactular long throw Loo broke the deadlock just before half time with a good finish. The 1-0 scoreline into half time a fair reflection of the game at that point.

With Loo making several changes at half time, the unchanged Coeur were afforded the chance to peg a goal back and for the first 15 minutes of the second half they were relenteless in their quest.

Wave after wave of attack in the Waterloo half saw Steele, Cahill and Robinson deliver dangerous crosses that with a little more killer insticnt could have seen Coeur grab a few goals. Substitute Peter Morgan alsi made an instant impression working well with Robinson to deliver a cross for Steele to head over the bar. Waterloo were on the ropes!

Sadly, the Couer dominance lasted a mere 15 minutes and soon the game took its natural course with the neat passing Loo taking control of proceedings. With a raft of subsitutes and players trying different positions for Couer the team were left on the back foot chasing the ball and 3 further goals in the final 25 mins settled the match.

One bright note being Capstick's calm save after Waterloo hit the post from a penalty.

The gritty performance warranted a score line of 2-0 in the eyes of the Coeur players, and in some areas they more than matched their rivals and asked some questions of them.

(Phil Steele)