Sacre Coeur Former Pupils Football Club
Darren Hoare's Fourth Team
Liverpool Old Boys Amateur League Division 4
Old English
Liverpool Old Boys
Div 4
5 - 4
Sacre Coeur

Mick Lynch (1)
Danny Pimbley (2)
Richie Hughes (1)

starting line up
Chris Lawless
Martin Somers
Gary Bourne
Dave Mortimer
Gavin Price
Darren Hoare
Rob Cavendish
Peter Devlin
Danny Pimbley
Richie Hughes
Mick Lynch

opposition :
Old English (A)
competition :
Liverpool Old Boys Div 4
match date :
kick off time :
played at :
Newsham Park
referee :
D Baines

Peter Devlin

In a game in which im still depressed about im finding it hard for a MOM but ive picked Peter as he never stopped running battling and should have been on the winning side. Gav Price had a good game and Lynchys free kick and effort brought them both close

These sort of games make the ones you win so much more enjoyable, with a few players out and some new players in JB and Mick Lynch we still had a strong 11 and could and should have come away with something. Just before KO Sean had told me he wasnt fit to start and it hurt to run??!! How he only found that out just before KO was confusing but it gave Martin his first strat of the season.


With not conceeding a goal last week another clean sheet would have been great but within the first few minutes a free kick was won by Old English, lofted into the box the normal relialble fat cat shouted for it but it went over his head, Dave did great to read the danger and got a head onto it and looked to have put it over the bar, but the strong wind kept it in play and the English player had a nice open goal to head into. A nightmare start but with loads of time to play we regrouped.


We settled down and slowly got into the game some nice play between JB, Lynchy, Peter,Cav and Danny kept creating half chances but nothing come off.

Then JB had some nice footwork and a Ronaldinho type flick into the path of the fox who was sandwiched between 2 English players (well one of them might of been Welsh, sorry bad joke) to gain a penalty which he dispatched to the keepers left. Danny hasnt been so pleased to be sandwiched between 2 blokes since last Thursday night when he went to PINK for a drink.


Only a few minutes later and we got a free kick on the right hand side of the English box which suited Lynchys sweet left foot and he curled a superb free kick into the top left hand corner giving the keeper no chance brillant freekick showing the fox how to do it. Our confidence started to grow and although they kept pumping the ball up to the Jan Koller of the Old boys league the defence was coping ok. Right on half time a lovely ball played from Gary down the left channel which Danny latched onto catching the keeper in no mans lands and finished from the tighest of angles, great finish. 


We played some nice football but we all felt could have played and given more, but with a 2 goal lead at half time it was pleasing.


half time 1 -3

Martin looked a very odd patchy colour at half time and with Peter being our first aider I wasnt convinced Peter could save him if he collapsed. Certainly since Peter showed his Devlin genes before the game asking how Richie knew the lad who had been shot dead in London.


With Jan Koller causing problems,and Martin looking like he was seconds from death I made the decison to drop Peter to the back to help Dave deal with Koller, Gav went right back and Somers right mid.Within the first 5 minutes I gave a silly free kick away which enabled them to lump a high long ball into the box, Dave looked like he was going to win it but at the last minute shouted for fat cat to get it, the cat done his best but it creeped under him allowing English to start the come back.

Another silly free kick (this time not given away by me) the ball was whipped in to Koller and with Dave trying to get in front of him, could do no more than getting a touch on the ball sending it into his own net.

Three goals all not like us, and all with a huge slice of luck to them i was starting to fear the worst.

With our confidence starting to drip away a short time later English took the lead with a nice strike from the edge of the box. I moved Peter back into the middle with Rob Cav going to right back. With 20 minutes remaining Richie found some space int he English box and managed to squeeze the ball between the keeper and his near post to score. For the next ten minutes the chances came at either end but nothing clear cut, until Koller won a header in the box and as he turned to run on to his own flick on ran into Gav and went down like he had run into a wall. The ref didnt have good game to say the least and the fact someone 8'2'' could be felled by a 2'3'' dwarf is unreal. Anyway Koller dusted himself down from the awful foul and dispatched the penalty to fat cats left who nearly got to it.


We tried to push forward for the remaining few minutes but were unable to get the right ball to Danny and English easily seen out the game.


It was hard to take, none more so that we were 3 -1 at half time, but out of 5 of their goals 3 would never normally happen and another was an outrageous pen. But with some better players to come back and with the new lads settling in, the future still looking bright.


TWAT OF THE MATCH - FAT CAT - I was going to give to myself for my tactical genius, but with this being one of the rare occasions he makes a mistake for the first goal and maybe just maybe the second (although I agree it was Daves fault) i give it him!


With Civserv up next who are the only team to win their first 2 games a tough game is ahead but also the chance to put ourselves back on top.


Come on boys last game we lose was today!