Sacre Coeur Former Pupils Football Club
Si Furlong's Second Team
i-zingari combination division 1
I-Zingari Combination
Div 1
2 - 1
Sacre Coeur

Paul Carragher (1)

starting line up
Gary Brennan
Mick Taylor
Steve Allison
Andy Howard
Paul Jackson
Jay Price
Michael Rawlinson
Derrick Burns
Martin Wilson
Rob Hatton
Paul Carragher
Michael A Lynch
Adrian Maxwell
Daniel Williams

opposition :
Leyfield (A)
competition :
I-Zingari Combination Div 1
match date :
kick off time :
played at :
Heron Eccles Playing Fields
referee :
to be confirmed

Jay Price

Some great touches and link up play from Jay today, showing that their is plenty of potential in his boots.

Leyfield had given Coeur a sound drubbing in their earlier encounter even more comfortable than the 4-0 scoreline suggested. This time around Coeur had more of their squad available and once again Paul Carragher was availale looking to continue his return to fitness.

Mr Magoo had been placed in charge of this game as a late replacement official. True to his optic history, he allowed Leyfield to play in their blue and black stripes, despite Coeur playing in all royal blue. This managed to cause confusion on the pitch, primarily for the ref as he allowed Leyfield to take the lead despite 2 players being yards beyond Coeur's backline. When questioned about the decision, he stated that the number 12 had played him onside. Really??? Well the only number 12 anywhere near the goalscorer was his team mate!! Even when this was pointed out, he didnt want to know. Derek was despatched to Si's car to located a different coloured set of shirts. On his return, the referee insisted that there wasnt a problem with the shirts and wouldnt allow Coeur to switch to the yellow shirts.

Coeur pressed forward attempting to get back in the game and were given an opportunity when a left wing cross struck the defender's outstretched hand. The ref awarded the penalty much to the dismay of Leyfield. It was one of those incidents where if your attacking its a stonewall pen and if your defending it was never a pen, just ball to hand. Harsh perhaps, but a penalty nonetheless.

Degsi stepped up to take the penalty but fired it high over the bar. Fortunately for him the ref ordered a retake as one of Leyfield's players had shouted out at the moment of striking the ball. Degs re-spotted the ball then struck the ball low to the keepers right, only to see him palm it away (as predicted by Si on the line).

The rest of the half saw both defences on top. Paul Carragher came closest for Coeur as he fired just over the top.

Half Time
Leyfield 1 Sacre Coeur 0

The second half began similar to the first, a fairly even game with both sides cancelling each other out. Coeur then began to get the upper hand, but just didnt get the rub of the green in critical areas. The chances that were created were probably half chances more than clear goal scoring opportunities.

Coeur's luck did change when the referee produced anoth Mr Maggo classic, awarding Coeur a corner when the ball crossed the touchline 3 yards from the corner flag. From the resulting corner Coeur were level. Degs fired in a low cross towards Paul Carragher who was in amongst a fair few defenders, it struck a leg and deflected over the line to level things up. The ref stated that Paul had scored the goal, but given he previous judgements it could hardly be classed as a reliable account.

Couer continued to press for the winner, but a weak back pass and a hesistant keeper allowed the forward to nip in and slot was turned out to be the winner for Leyfield.

A dissapointing end to the game as Coeur deserved at least a point, but a better performance from the lads.

Full Time
Leyfield 2 Sacre Coeur 1

(Si Furlong)