Sacre Coeur Former Pupils Football Club
Si Furlong's Third Team
Liverpool Old Boys Amateur League Division 2
Sacre Coeur

Craig Burns (1)
L.C.F.A. Int Cup
Round 2
1 - 3

starting line up
Kev Taylor
John Grego
John Baxendale
Peter Gibbons
Rob Hatton
Mick Taylor
Bob Marley
Mally Harper
Derrick Burns
Wes Grego
Craig Burns
Paul Carr
Mike Smith
Si Furlong

opposition :
Naylorsfield (H)
competition :
L.C.F.A. Int Cup Round 2
match date :
kick off time :
played at :
Buckley Hill
referee :
Helen Byrne

Wes Grego

Wes ran his legs off to ensure that the Naylorsfield defence weren't given a moment of peace. No goal today for Wes, but his efforts deserved one.

Fate sometimes deals you a bad hand. In the case of Coeur's cup opponents this season, you could suggest that Coeur had been deal a bad hand in the first round of all 3 cups. Naylorsfield, who dumped Coeur unceremoniously out of the Senior Shield a fortnight ago, were the opponents in the first round of the LCFA Intermediate cup as well. Coeur were determined to prove a tougher nut to crack than a fortnight ago, but were again hampered by injuries and absentees. Baxi had managed to recover to take his place in the centre of defense, but Tommy Stevenson was unable to play. Mike Smith was also only fit enough to take a place on the bench, as was Paul Carr. Kenni Jackson also missed out this week due to work. So with Rob Phil, Shelley, and Gav still missing, Coeur had two lads barely back from injury and Si Furlong on the bench.

The opening to the game was always going to be crucial, and like 2 weeks ago Coeur started brightly, giving Naylorsfield limited opportunities to play their expansive football. 20 minutes passed before Coeur were opened up down their right. A cross in the box just evaded the head of Gibbo and fell perfectly onto the forehead of the forward who duly dispatched it into the bottom corner of the net.

Coeur weren't downheartened by this and continued to press forward but Craig Burns' two efforts whistled just past the woodwork. 10 minutes before the interval, Naylorsfield released a forward who was pursued by John Grego. Unfortunately Kev came out earlt but the forward was able to slide the ball home to double their lead.

Half Time
Sacre Coeur 0 - 2 Naylorsfield

The second half saw Coeur continue to compete well with Naylorsfield and truthfully they were unlucky to be 2 behind. An excellent ball by Baxi fed Craig in, who held off the defender and fired past the keeper to bring Coeur back into the game. At this point Coeur were on top and it looked only a matter of time before they managed to level the game. Last ditch tackles and smart saves were the order of the day for Naylorsfield as Coeur piled on the pressure. With 10 minutes to go Naylorsfield were awarded a corner. As it was swung in the forward pushed a Coeur defender out of the way and nodded home from 7 yards. Coeur looked to the referee but she had failed to spot what was a blatant 2 handed push.

Coeur continued to pressure Naylorsfield, but the third goal had restored their confidence and Coeur slipped to a third consecutive defeat. A far better showing from Coeur, and at 1 - 2 they had Naylorsfield on the ropes for a spell of 10 - 15 minutes.


Full Time
Sacre Coeur 1 - 3 Naylorsfield


(Si Furlong)