Sacre Coeur Former Pupils Football Club
Si Furlong's Third Team
Liverpool Old Boys Amateur League Division 2
Sacre Coeur

Mally Harper (1)
Tommy Stevenson (1)
Liverpool Old Boys
Div 2
2 - 3
Quarry Bank O.B.

starting line up
Kev Taylor
John Grego
Mike Smith
Tommy Stevenson
Rob Hatton
Bob Marley
Kenni Jackson
Derrick Burns
Mally Harper
Wes Grego
Craig Burns
Si Furlong
Mick Taylor

opposition :
Quarry Bank O.B. (H)
competition :
Liverpool Old Boys Div 2
match date :
kick off time :
played at :
Buckley Hill
referee :
Ian Arrands (Snr)

John Grego

John put in a fully commited performance and his late forrays forward provided Coeur with several chances as they chased the game

It was back to the league this week after a footballing lesson at the hands of Naylorsfield in the cup last week. Coeur's injury list remained quite extensive with Rob Philiskirk, Pablo, Shelley, Baxi and Gav all absent from the third team squad. A couple of late cry offs coupled with the injuries meant that Coeur had just Mick Taylor and Si Furlong on the bench. Quarry Bank had started the season well, apart from a bizarre 8-1 drubbing at the hands of Old Cats first game of the season. At the start of the game Quarry Bank were just 3 points behind Coeur in 3rd place, so 3 points was vital for Coeur to maintain their league momentum.

The game set off at a frantic pace with Quarry Bank seemingly first to every ball. Coeur were struggling to get going and Quarry Bank deservedly took the lead when poor defending allowed the forward to fire home.

Coeur failed to respond to this, but somehow managed to stay in the game going into half time trailing by just a single goal.


Half Time
Sacre Coeur 0 - 1 Quarry Bank


The second half started with Coeur competing a little better, but still struggling to find any rhythym in their game. Quarry Bank again found holes in the centre of Coeur's defence and twice hopeful punts, were badly dealt with, and accordingly punished by the forwards. Kev, in goal, was lobbed for the 2nd and 3rd goals after getting caught in no man's land, trying to deal with the mess left by the defence.

Coeur looked beaten, but managed to rally strongly. They began to dominate in the middle of the park and a couple of poor tackled by Quarry Bank were testimony to the pressure Coeur had started to put on their defence.
A lifeline was gained as Tommy Stevenson rose highest to flick a header into the Quarry net.

10 minutes late Mally Harper smashed home the second from inches out to set up a barn stroming finish.
Alas, Coeur were unable to grab an equaliser with John Grego smashing a fierce volley from a tight angle right into the midriff of the Quarry Bank keeper.

A desparately poor first half performance left Coeur deserving very little, but a much improved showing in the final 30 minutes almost saw them nick a point that their efforts may have just deserved.

Full Time
Sacre Coeur 2 - 3 Quarry Bank


(Si Furlong)