Sacre Coeur Former Pupils Football Club
Si Furlong's Third Team
Liverpool Old Boys Amateur League Division 2
Ercanil O.B.
Liverpool Old Boys
Div 2
1 - 4
Sacre Coeur

Wes Grego (1)
Mick Taylor (1)
Derrick Burns (1)
Ged Grego (1)

starting line up
Kev Taylor
Bob Marley
John Baxendale
Tommy Stevenson
John Grego
Ged Grego
Derrick Burns
Kenni Jackson
Mick Taylor
Wes Grego
Paul Carr
Mike Smith
Gav Scott
Si Furlong

opposition :
Ercanil O.B. (A)
competition :
Liverpool Old Boys Div 2
match date :
kick off time :
played at :
Buckley Hill, Netherton
referee :
Ian Arrands (Snr)

Ged Grego

A very, very close call this week and in all honesty it was probably a team award this week. Ged was probably the most prominent of a group of players, scoring once, winning the penalty and not giving the Ercanil defence any peace.

Coeur came into this game looking to keep up their excellant start to the season and after lining up for kick off it was quite apparent that Ercanil had quite a big height advantage right across the park. Undeterred by this Coeur started the game the brighter and duly took the lead 10 minutes into the game when Degsi sent Ged Grego free on goal, with the defender making ground Ged drilled the ball into the keepers bottom right hand corner from the edge of the box to make it 0-1.

Within minutes Coeur had the chance to double the lead when Pablo was sent clean through only for the keeper to get to the ball first. Coeur where starting to dominate this game and with John and Bob getting forward as much as possible this was giving Ecranil problems. When Ecranil did get the ball into their forwards Baxi and Tommy were dealing with the big number 9 well, so that he was largely ineffective.

Pablo had another chance to get on the score sheet but the ball just wouldnt sit for him and once again the keeper came out on top. A couple of minutes later Baxi had to clear his lines from deep in his own half, with Pablo in an offside positon walking back to his half Ecranil stood still which allowed Wes to race onto th loose ball, he carried this into the penalty box and slid itpast the on rushing keeper. Cue uproar, Ecranil demanded the goal should be disallowed due to Pablo being offside, the referee was adamant and the goal stood. 0-2 to Couer.

It wasnt long before Couer made it 3. Kev kicked from his hands and the Ecranil defender misjudged his header and the ball was rolling out for a throw in when the keeper came hurtling out to stop the ball going for a throw in, he messed up his clearance and Mick pounced on the error and scored from an acute angle to treble Coeurs advantage.

Half Time Ecranil 0-3 Coeur

The second half started and Coeur didnt get going, Ecranil started to apply pressure and in the opening 10 minutes had a couple of efforts which neraly got them back in the game. It wasnt long before they pulled one back, from a corner the big number scored from the back post when he got between 2 defenders to head home. 1-3.

Once Ecranil had scored this seemed to kick start Coeur and the football started to played again, Mick was causing a few problems down the left hand side and Ged was doing what he wanted when he had the ball with the Ecranil defenders not knowing how to stop him, ultimately it was Ged who was brought down in the box when he beat the defender with skill and pace only for the defender to run straight into him knocking him to the floor with the referee pointing to the penalty spot. Degsi converted spot kick to make it 1-4. This killed the game and a few tackles where starting to be dished out, towards the end of the game as Ecranil realised they were beaten by the better team.

A very good performance overall especially in the first half against a very physical Ecranil Side.

Full Time Ecranil 1-4 Coeur

(Derrick 'Degsi' Burns)