Sacre Coeur Former Pupils Football Club
Si Furlong's Third Team
Liverpool Old Boys Amateur League Division 2
Bootech O.B.
Liverpool Old Boys
Div 2
0 - 3
Sacre Coeur

Derrick Burns (1)
Ged Grego (2)

starting line up
Kev Taylor
Carl Meath
Tommy Stevenson
John Baxendale
John Grego
Gav Scott
Derrick Burns
Mick Taylor
Wes Grego
Ged Grego
Paul Carr
Kenni Jackson
Mick McLoughlin
Steven Wilson

opposition :
Bootech O.B. (A)
competition :
Liverpool Old Boys Div 2
match date :
kick off time :
played at :
referee :
T Mutch

Gav Scott

Gav put in an excellent shift in an unfamiliar right back role. He played some great balls down the line to release Wes and also dealt well with Bootech dangerman Lynchy.

After last week's solid but unspectacular start to the season, Coeur made the short journey to (formerly the Civil Service) to face a Bootech side that they had drawn 2-2 with in a pre-season encounter. Bootech had former Coeur players Chris Long, Mick Lynch and Jay Porter amongst their ranks and many of the players known each other well. Bootech appeared to be down to the bare 11 whilst Coeur had the full quota when Kenni turned up straight from work.

Coeur were able to welcome back Kenni Jackson and Tommy Stevenson was also fit enough to start having recovered from a shoulder injury. However missing from the Coeur squad was the holidaying trio of Peter Gibbons, Rob Hatton and Mike Smith. Mally Harper and Rob Philiskirk were also unavailable due to injury. Keeper Kev Taylor was making his first start of the season while his younger brother Mick and Carl Meath were both making their debuts for the club. Si started to name the side but then cut it short when realising that he didn't have a left back with Rob Hatton and Rob Phil both missing and Kenni not likely to make it from work before the kick off. A quick conflab occured and John Grego was moved from right to left back and Gav Scott was asked to fill in at right back.

The game started in glorious sunshine and Coeur were out of the traps quickly. Inside the first 3 or 4 minutes Wes Grego burst past the left back and picked out Mick Taylor, who was unable to keep his shot down from 8 yards out. Minutes later Taylor again picked up a great position in the box only for his shot to be half stopped by Longy in goal before the defense completed the clearance. Coeur looked far more likely to score at this stage and continued to press forward, whereas Bootech were relying in the craft and guile of Lynchy, who was being well marshalled by Coeur's defence.

15 minutes in, a ball was lost in the bushes and I spent the next 15 minutes getting shredded by the brambles and blackberry bushes, yet the search was a fruitless one (bar the blackberries). Whilst in the bushes I was alert enough to spot the sunbed king on his toes to lift the ball over the advancing Longy and into the back of the Bootech net. Further chances went begging for Coeur as Longy made a few decent saves from Pablo and Coeur failed to make the most of openings in the box. With 8 minutes to go to the break the Perma-Tan kid lashed a delightful shot into the corner of the Bootech goal from 20 yards.

Half Time 2 - 0

The second half continued in a similar vein. Coeur were able to limit Bootech to speculative efforts and probably should have scored more themselves. A piece of genius almost saw the hat-trick attained but the keepy-ups followed by a fizzing volley flew inches past the upright. Coeur added a third inside the last quarter of an hour when Degsy took pull advantage of a poor Bootech clearance and advanced 1 on 1 with Longy before easily sliding the ball home to wrap up a comfortable victory.

Again another reasonable performance, with some notable individual contributions from lads playing out of position. Coeur will need to be a little more ruthless in front of goal though if they are to take points in tighter matches in the forthcoming weeks.

Full Time 3 - 0

(Si Furlong)