Sacre Coeur Former Pupils Football Club
marc 'derek' eckersall & mick carragher's First Team
liverpool county f.a. premier league premier division
Waterloo Dock
Premier Div
2 - 3
Sacre Coeur

Robin Miles (1)
Duncan Atkinson (1)
Paul Carragher (1)

starting line up
Dave Moran
Jonathan McKeown
Stuey Aitken
Lee James
James Currie
Mathew Stirzaker
Robin Miles
Lee Owens
John Carragher
Duncan Atkinson
Paul Carragher

opposition :
Waterloo Dock (A)
competition :
LCPL Premier Div
match date :
kick off time :
played at :
Edinburgh Park
referee :
Umar Ahmed

Waterloo 'The' Dock 2 v 3 Sacre 'The Mighty' Coeur

If Carlsberg did Sacre Coeur football results....this would probably be the best result in Sacre Coeur's 22 year history.

They don't........but it was still the biggest (and best) result in the history of the Mighty Coeur.

Sacre Coeur started the game brightly and were awarded a free kick inside four minutes. Up stepped Robin Miles to drive a tremendous shot which the keeper did well to fingertip onto the underside of the bar and the ball bounced away to safety.

After 20 minutes a good through ball by Robin through to John Carra saw a good shot saved by the keeper.

After 28 minutes another ball through from Robin found the onrushing Paul Carragher who beat the offside trap, drew the keeper and calmly slotted home. 1-0

After 37 minutes a long ball through from the Dock found a striker who took the ball early and found the back of the net for an equaliser 1-1.

Ten minutes of the half remaining and a good run through the middle by Cherry Bomber found him upended by the last defender, the ball falling to Paul Carra wh oagain drew the keeper and slotted. Unfotunately the linesmans flag had gone up and the referee pulled the game back for a free kick. Up stepped Robin to calmly curl the ball into the top corner to put Coeur ahead once again. 2-1

H-T 1-2

For half an hour of the second half the Dock raised their game but were evenly matched by Coeur, with Dave Moran in goal and a back four of Cherry, Jamesey, Currie and Stuey. With a midfield three of Lee Owens, Matty Stirzy and Robin pa
10 minutes of the game to go and the healthy away Coeur line thinking about a 'historic' victory a Dock defender fell and handled the ball in the box. The linesman drew the referees attention to the foul and after they had consulted, awarded a free kick outside the box. NEVER !!!
(apart from that thought the referee had a great game).
A poor free kick resulted in a quick breakaway by the Dock and within 30 seconds they were "awarded" a penalty when the attacker 'went down' after a challenge. The penalty was dispatched with power and drew the Dock level again 2-2.

Could the mighty Coeur hang on for a tremendous point or would they concede to a late Dock goal and walk away with their heads held high anyway.........?

Bollocks - they got on with the game and attacked the Dock like they had from the 1st minute and got their just rewards when with just 7 minutes to go another through ball found Paul Carra whose shot was parried by the keeper but calmly finished off by Big Dunc 3-2.

Paul Carra had a chance to increase Coeur's lead near the end but shot just wide.

As the final whistle went the mighty Coeur had created their own little piece of history but this was no fluke or slice of luck or backs to the wall, this was a much deserved victory by a team that is 'flying' at the moment full of self-belief with a bunch of lads who are prepared to graft for one another until the final whistle.

I, and the Club are so proud of you lads.


(Liam Doyle)