Sacre Coeur Former Pupils Football Club
Alan Brown and Ian Dee's Vets Team
i-zingari combination veterans division 2
Sacre Coeur

Mike Roach (1)
I-Zingari Comb Vets
Div 2
1 - 0
St Allys

starting line up
Bill Humphray
Alan Ross
Loz Halpin
Andy Rannard
Dave Looby
Alan Brown
Rob Lawler
Matty Davies
Dave Lloyd
Mark Growney
Mike Roach
Ian Dee
Dave Cooney

opposition :
St Allys (H)
competition :
I-Zingari Comb Vets Div 2
match date :
kick off time :
played at :
Buckley Hill
referee :
Gary Berwick

Bill Humphray

Billy 'the fish' was outstanding and ensured that Coeur remain top of the table

On such a lovely day, the Vets experiences one of the strangest games we have played in across Coeur's 21 year history.

The game got underway at exactly 2.30 despite several Coeur players still sitting the changing rooms. 8 Coeur players started, calling frantically to Deano and Alan and the others who anbled gently towards the pitch. The makeshift 8 were able to hold things until the strollers eventually reached the pitch. The ref however refused to allow athem on until he felt like it - this was an ominous sign of things to come.

Once the game was underway Coeur looked the stronger, with a makeshift midfield that included Rannard at centre-mid! thus it was thta Coeur broke the deadlock with some tidy work down the left which left Mick Roach free on the edge of the box to power the ball home past a helpless keeper.

Things then took a turn for the worse as Allys broke into the box, the ball was partly cleared and from an acute angle outside the 6 yard box their striker volleyed the ball which, from point blank range, hit Loz Halpin's arm. It was one of those situations the 50% of the time is a penalty and 50% not given. Guess what... not only was the penalty given but the referee, Mr Adolf, decided i was a sending off offence. So having finally got 11 on the pitch we were again down to 10.

Fortunately God's eyes are never shut and Billy 'the fish' in goal pulled off a great save.

Having recovered from that decision Coeur suffered again several minutes later when Alan Brown gave their forward an innocuous nudge, seeing him fall like a rotten tree, step up the ref for another penalty. once again God smiled on the Coeur as it went high wide and handsome.

Things became worse though when Deano, fom the bench, decided to say what most of us were thinking and called the ref a cheat - sending off number 2.

Despite having a man extra St Ally's were never able to make their advantage count. in fact sacre coeur came close with, Roach, and Dave both having chances and Rannard managing to break down the middle but lose his composure and shoot wide.

Dave however got injured towards the end of the half and Couer struggled with two men down until Dave lloyd arrived to replace him. half-time 1-0.

The second half began with Ally's switching things around and looking more purposeful. Coeur defended well, limiting their chances, though the team was starting to tire. Nevertheless Coeur still had a number of 1/2 chances falling to Roach, Matty Davies and again Rannard galloping through the middle and again missing the target.

Ally's did rarely break through our defensive lines, only to be met by an inspired Man of the Match performance from Billy the fish in goal.

Several more booking took place, obviously for the Coeur, then as Coeur broke down the left a St Ally's substitute stepped on the pitch to block our advances. A lengthy discussion took place between the sub and the ref which seemed to centre around the ref's parentage - the sub was then despatched to the changing rooms. (we were later to find out that this was not being sent in by the ref).

Shortly after this Matty Davies failed to make full contact with the ball in another innocuous challenge, step up the ref to produce a second yellow and reduce us to 9 players.

Thus it remained for the last 15 mins. Ally's looking to breakdown our defence, Coeur labouring to keep them out, and guess what .... despite the ref, we did!

Full time 1-0

(Andy Rannard)