Sacre Coeur Former Pupils Football Club
marc 'derek' eckersall & mick carragher's First Team
liverpool county f.a. premier league division 1
Sacre Coeur

Lee Owens (1)
Duncan Atkinson (1)
Jack Doran (1)
John Carragher (1)
Jonathan McKeown (1)
LCPL Div1 Challenge Cup
Round 1
5 - 5
won 3 - 2 on pens

starting line up
Dave Moran
Stephen Bowfield
Stuey Aitken
Tim Holloway
Neil Cooper
Lee Owens
Jonathan McKeown
John Carragher
Duncan Atkinson
Michael Roberts
Robbie Boardman
Jack Doran
Robin Miles

opposition :
Bankfield (H)
competition :
LCPL Div1 Challenge Cup Round 1
match date :
kick off time :
played at :
referee :
Mike Crosbie

Sacre Coeur 5 v 5 Bankfield (AET) - Sacre Coeur winning 3-2 on Penalties.

Oh what a game.......for the neutrals.
It had everything......well, goals and bad penalties.

This was the first round of the League Cup, a cup we went out in the 1st round last year. With this being our first game since late November and full of Christmas (pudding and spirits Wink) this was always going to be tough fixture against Bankfield who always seem to give us a good game.

Bankfield opened the scoring with a good passing move and finish. 0-1.
Lee Owens equalised with a good finish. 1-1.
HT 1-1.
Bankfield took the lead again after a good run down the left by the flying winger, getting a few 'megs' in for good measure, found the attacker to drill home 1-2.
Big Dunc then pulled Coeue level after good work by Robbie Boardman. 2-2.
A 'shinned' effort into the bottom corner put Bankfield back in front. 3-2.

Then the 'goal' of the game (for the neutrals) - a strike towards goal found itself a good yard behind the line and kicked away (no goal said the ref), then the resultant strike hit the underside of the bar and bounced down on the line, cue golamouth scramble, then the ball fell to young Jack Doran who's miscued shot bobbled into the bottom corner leaving about 20 people stranded watching it. 3-3.

The injured Cherry decided to rifle one in prior to coming off. 4-3.

The just as Coeur were thinking of getting the nets and corner flags in, a last seconds corner was punted into the box by Bankfield. A goalmouth scramble ensued (and in my opinion a foul on the keeper) and a Bankfield player lobbed a crowd of players from the edge of the box to pull them out of the fire 4-4.

FT 4-4.

Extra time and a pretty uneventfull 29 minutes as both the sun and the temperature dropped and the inevitable penalty shoot out beckoned.

But up stepped John Carra to nod home with a minute remaining to put Coeur ahead. 5-4.

But as it was 'FA Cup 3rd Round drama day' the story took another twist, a shot on goal by an 'offside' Bankfield striker was brilliantly tipped around the post for a corner. Bankfield's keeper went up for the corner as it was the last seconds of the game and although he missed as he tried to punch the ball into the net the attacker behind him duly headed home. 5-5.

Cue penalty shoot out.

Coeur missed. 0-0
Dave saved. 0-0.
Robbie dispatched. 1-0
Bankfield scored (in off the bar). 1-1.
Bowy drilled the bar. 1-1.
They skied. 1-1.
Dave missed. 1-1.
They hit the bar. 1-1.
Big Dunc slotted. 2-1.
They slotted. 2-2.

John Carra scored the sixth pen. 3-2.
Dave saved their sixth pen. 3-2.


All in all a good victory in difficult conditions after no football for the previous five weeks and blowing the 'christmas cobwebs' away.

Roll on Round 2 (the quarters). Thumbs%20Up


(Liam Doyle)