Sacre Coeur Former Pupils Football Club
Si Furlong's Third Team
Liverpool Old Boys Amateur League Division 1
South Mersey
LOB Senior Shield
Round 1
2 - 0
Sacre Coeur

starting line up
John Barlow
Andy Rannard
Peter Gibbons
Mike Smith
Andy Blackburn
Andy Moran
Kenni Jackson
Gav Scott
John Grego
Mally Harper
Chris Trow
John Doyle
Craig Burns

opposition :
South Mersey (A)
competition :
LOB Senior Shield Round 1
match date :
kick off time :
played at :
Liverpool Hope University
referee :
K. Jones

Andy Blackburn

Played well at left back and then in the back three when Coeur switched formations in search of a way back into the game.

Having spent the last few years knocking higher division teams out of the Senior Shield, Couer had reached the highest echelon of the Old Boys League themselves, thus preventing them from producing any more giant killing acts. Coeur made the trip to Hope University in Woolton/Childwall to face a South Mersey side that they had faced on the way to their Bushell Cup victory of 2005. The late arrival of the referee meant that Coeur were able to peruse the sodden pitch and take note of any problem areas. Unfortunately for Coeur the problem area was in the luck and confidence areas, rather than the boggy pitch, which was crap for both sides.

The first half saw Coeur squander a few chances, with John Grego going closest on two occasions, Firstly seeing his shot drift agonisingly wide of the far post, with the keeper rooted to the spot. Then minutes later he was unable to convert a far easier chance as he slid in to divert the ball goalbound from 5 yards, only to see it rebound off the bar and away to safety. South Mersey weren't any great shakes themselves, but proved to be Coeur's equal in terms of performance. The game was close and the first goal was always going to prove vital, sadly that goal fell to South Mersey. A deflected through ball fell straight into the path of a breaking midfielder and he found himself clean through and slotted well past John in goal. A second was also added in a similar manner and then John made 3 decent saves before the break to keep Coeur in the match.

Half time 0 -2

Coeur laboured badly in the second half and despite a few half chances, they couldn't find the breakthrough. With half an hour to go Coeur were denied what appeared to be a stonewall penalty when Chris Trow was felled in the box. With the referee point blank refusing to entertain Coeur's appeals, the best chance of getting back into the game had gone. Coeur pressed forward for the remainder of the match and despite the introduction of Craig Burns from the bench, they were unable to break a resolute South Mersey backline. With 10 minutes to go a swift South Mersey break saw the best chance of the half wasted as the ball was fired wide when it seemed easier to score.

Coeur struggled to get any rhythym going in the match and although they were denied the penalty that should have given them a foothold in the match, they were poor and deserved nothing from the game, as South Mersey's dogged defending, rightly saw them inflict their own 'Giant Killing'.In truth though the giant was already seiously wounded, heavily sedated and not that big of a giant anyway.

Full Time 0 - 2