Sacre Coeur Former Pupils Football Club
Si Furlong's Third Team
Liverpool Old Boys Amateur League Division 1
Liverpool Old Boys
Div 1
3 - 4
Sacre Coeur

Chris Trow (1)
Craig Burns (1)
Derrick Burns (1)
Mike Smith (1)

starting line up
John Barlow
Andy Rannard
Dave Looby
Mike Smith
Rob Hatton
Rob Philiskirk
Kenni Jackson
John Doyle
Derrick Burns
Craig Burns
Chris Trow
Gav Scott
Alan Hulthen

opposition :
Collegiate (A)
competition :
Liverpool Old Boys Div 1
match date :
kick off time :
played at :
Jeffrey's Humble Playing Fields
referee :
Jim Connolly

Dave Looby

Dave was outstanding at the heart of Coeur's defence. First to every challenge and unbeaten in the air.

After two weeks of misery, Coeur came into this match needing all three points to try and move away from the stragglers at the bottom of Division One. Collegiate had failed to collect any points in their two outings this season, so they were also keen to get some points on the board. Coeur again had succumbed to further injuries since the last outing with Baxi having pulled a hamstring and Mally Harper having suffered a knee ligament injury which could keep him out for a considerable portion of the season.
Coeur started well keen to ensure that this game would kickstart their season, though again like last week several good chances were spurned early on. Degsy missed a glorious chance from 8 yards after some good work by Chris Trow. John Doyle was also guilty of a glaring miss. He found himself clean through and tried to lift the ball over the stranded keeper first time, rather than using the 10 or so seconds time he had to bring the ball down and slot it, predictably it missed to the right of the goal. Craig Burns and Chris Trow both had decent chances, but were unable to sort their feet out in time to get a decent shot on target. So with several good chances gone begging, Coeur again looked as if they could be in danger of throwing it away, until 10 minutes before the interval, Degsy slammed the ball home from 8 yards proving third time lucky after missing previous chances. A collective sigh of relief was heard from the Coeur line when 5 minutes later Craig Burns lofted home a shot over the advancing keeper. For the first time this season Coeur could go into the break leading comfortably, despite being 2 or 3 goals short of the scoreline that their first half dominance deserved.

Half Time 2 - 0

The second half has proven Coeur's undoing in the last few outings and this time Coeur set out to finish off Collegiate early on. A Mike Smith header was cleared off the line and Craig had another effort go close. Things were looking good for Coeur at this stage, and right on cue the match saw it's third goal. Yes, you guessed it, in Coeur's net. Poor defending from a needless free kick saw Collegiate gifted a free shot which proved a little too powerful for the despairing dive of John in goal. At this stage it is customary for Coeur to lose a bit of confidence, but this time they responded well and indeed regained their 2 goal advantage. Chris Trow tormented the left back of Collegiate and found himself on the right hand side touchline 35 yards from goal. Collegiate's keeper decided this would be an ideal opportunity to go and purchase a Bacon Butty and a brew from the underated Jeffrey's Humble cafe. Seeing the keeper absent from his goal by some 20 yards, Chris lifted the ball high over him and into the net. At this stage 5 or 6 would have been a fairer tally in Coeur's goals for column as they were controlling the game. A fourth was added soon after as a Degsy throw in was met at the near post by the head of Mike Smith and nodded into the far corner of the Collegiate net.

Game Over??? Who are you kidding?
A thirty yard exocet from the right boot of a Collegiate midfielder, flew past a helpless John and nestled into the top corner of the net. Cue panic stations. Instantly Coeur dropped 20 yards deeper and invited Collegiate to attack them. Balls were pumped forward and were perpetually header away by the magnificent Dave Looby, who was ably assisted by Rannard and Smith. Another needless free kick was gifted to Collegiate and somehow the same player with the rocket boots met the ball with equal ferocity from 3 yards out and thankfully ballooned it over when it seemed impossible to miss. Collegiate pulled another goal back when another bout of delirium in the Coeur penalty area resulted in the ball being bundled home from close range following a couple of deflections. With the pressure increasing, Rannard started mimicking a 1973 Allegro's radiator. The simmering built up until the pressure was too much and he took off like a Jack Russell on speed before clattering into the back of a Collegiate player. Fortunately the player and the ref were in a forgiving mood and Rannard was given 60 hours community service for the common assault, yet somehow escaped a booking. Coeur held out to claim 3 points for the first time this season and left having just managed to crawl over the winning line, when in truth they could (should) have won by 5 or 6. Everyone departed Long Lane, vowing to perform better next week, except for Rannard who had to stay behind and paint the fence as part of his Community Service.

Full Time 4 - 3