Sacre Coeur Former Pupils Football Club
Si Furlong's Third Team
Liverpool Old Boys Amateur League Division 1
Sacre Coeur

Liverpool Old Boys
Div 1
0 - 2
Wavertree WDOB

starting line up
John Barlow
Andy Rannard
Mike Smith
Dave Looby
John Baxendale
Rob Hatton
Kenni Jackson
Andy Moran
Gav Scott
Chris Trow
Derrick Burns
Rob Philiskirk
John Doyle

opposition :
Wavertree WDOB (H)
competition :
Liverpool Old Boys Div 1
match date :
kick off time :
played at :
Buckley Hill
referee :
K. Norman

Kenni Jackson

Worked tirelessly and tried to keep the side ticking over. Played well in the first half (as did the whole side). Was the best of a bad bunch in the second before getting injured.

Despite still searching for their first victory of the season, Coeur were upbeat as Wavertree West Derby rolled into town. Coeur were again short of a full squad as Craig Burns was confined to his bed (by a serious hangover before you start Rannard) and Mally Harper had been loaned to the under strength seconds after his dismal excuse last weekend. Andy Moran was fortunate to find himself restored to the starting line up after last weeks no show.
Coeur started well and were dictating the game in the middle of the park. Up front Chris and Desgy were looking sharp and all the signs were looking good for Coeur. With bearly 5 minutes on the clock Coeur had a glorious chance to take the lead. A nearpost corner was drilled in towards Dave Looby six yards out. Sadly for Coeur, Looby had replaced his normally dealdy forehead with a Sherrif's Badge and the ball was sent wide of the post. Coeur continued to attack and they soon created another glorious chance. This time it was Degsy with the oddly shaped bonce, and again a simple header was diverted wide of the gaping goal. Wave after wave of attack continued from Coeur and Wavertree were struggling to repel the danger. Chris Trow was slid in behind the defence only for his usual ice cool finishing to desert him at the critical moment. Rob Hatton also went close, cracking one of his howitzers just over the bar from 20 yards, before Kenni Jackson's floated free kick evaded everyone before striking the crossbar with the keeper beaten. With half time approaching Chris Trow again found himself in a decent goalscoring position but was denied by the keeper.

Half Time 0 - 0

The second half started with both sides level, yet Coeur should have been 3 goals to the good and could have been 5 or 6 up. The dominance displayed by Coeur in the first half led to complacency slipping into Coeur's game. Coeur started to stroll around as if the game was won, despite their failings in front of goal. Suddenly Wavetree were in the game, they started reacting quicker to the second ball and their passing and movement was more confident and slicker than at any point in the first half. Rank bad defending by Coeur allowed a strike from 20 yards to fly past a static John and into the back of the Coeur net. An instant response was required from Coeur, yet all impetus and enthusiasm had been drained from Coeur's play. Simple passes were going astray and the quality of the first half had degenerated into hopeful long balls in the general direction of Chris and Degsy. Changes were made from the bench to try and introduce a bit of urgency into Coeur's game, but the desire had gone. A second Wavertree goal was added after more impotent defending from Coeur. The game then petered out and Wavertree were never seriously threatened. Maybe Jimmy Hill was right all along, it is a game of two halves. Coeur played the first with passion, pace and desire and the second, devoid of all three. It could have been all over at half time such was Coeur's dominance, although that is no excuse for playing the second half like it already was. In summary: 1st half brilliant build up play, crap finishing. 2nd half just plain crap.

Full Time 0 - 2