Sacre Coeur Former Pupils Football Club
Si Furlong's Third Team
Liverpool Old Boys Amateur League Division 3
Liverpool Old Boys
Div 3
0 - 3
Sacre Coeur

starting line up
team details will appear here soon

opposition :
Collegiate (A)
competition :
Liverpool Old Boys Div 3
match date :
kick off time :
played at :
Jeffrey's Humble
referee :

Paul Carr

Pablo made it four goals in four games with two crisp finishes against a useful Collegiate side.

Two seasons ago, Coeur finished bottom of Division 4 and found themselves kept in that division as a result of a restructure in the Liverpool Old Boys League. This proved to be the catalyst for two excellent seasons football with the majority of the playing staff remaining the same, yet the quality of football improving immeasurably. As seems to be the case with every game for Coeur nowadays, this was a massive one. Coeur needed 3 points to secure a top 2 finish in the table and indeed promotion for the second season running, this time to the 2nd division. Collegiate lined up differently to when Couer had faced them earlier in the season with some good, young players keen to impress. This Coeur side knew what was required and in the first half went about their business in the usual efficient manner. Collegiate looked lively up front and down the wings but in truth never troubled Si Furlong in goal. Despite dominating possession and having a few reasonable chances Coeur struggled to find the back of the net. Degsy and Craig were running the show between them and it was the latter who provided the inspiration behind the decisive goal. Craig spotted Mike Smith set off on one of his trademark gallops down the right wing and sprayed a glorious 50 yard ball over the back over the Collegiate defense. Paul Carr, unaware of Mike's presence almost got a head to the ball, but it dropped to Mike on the byline who killed it instantly. Mike then had to scream at Pablo to get him to receive the pass, Pablo obliged sliding home yet another goal in his finest goal scoring season yet for Coeur. Just on the stroke of half time Mally 'the hatchet' Harper had a half chance in the box which he, under severe pressure from a Collegiate defender, couldn't keep on target. Unfortunately the collision left the defender clasping his leg, fearing he had broken it. A 20 minute break was taken for half time until the player was able to be moved from the pitch. The second half was played in a torrent of wind and rain, the pitch became increasingly difficult to play decent football on, with the ball skidding of the deck at every opportunity. Coeur had a few good chances early on in the second half, yet it took an alert Mike Smith on the goaline to ensure that Coeur kept hold of the vital 3 points. Not a classic game by any means but both sides strived hard in difficult conditions. Special mention goes to Alan Hulthen who put Coeur first by selling his derby ticket and giving up the opportunity to see his beloved Reds once again defeat Everton. Next week sees Coeur return to Senior Shield action against Naylorsfield. Coeur have the opportunity to reach the Senior Shield final for the first time in the clubs history, having already ventured further than any previous Coeur side. Final Score Sacre Coeur 1 - 0 Collegiate